- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
- 5 cloves
- 1 stalk lemongrass , crushed slightly
- 1 stalk curry leaves
- cooking oil
- 6 cloves garlic
- 4 red onions, 3 for blending and 1 cut into wedges and kept for the final portion
- 1 inch old ginger
- 6 dried chillies, soaked in hot water
- 500g beef cubes
- 150ml Salam Kicap Manis
- 5 tsp tamarind liquid, diluted with 5 tsp hot water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp meat curry powder
- mint leaves
- Blend all ingredients in Marinade A together.
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients from Marinade A and Marinade B, cling wrap and leave overnight.
- Heat up some oil and add in cinnamon, star anise, cloves, lemongrass and curry leaves. Stir fry till the aroma is released.
- Pour in marinated ingredients, stir fry to incorporate together and add some water and Salam Kicap Manis to form a gravy. Cook for a few minutes.
- Turn off heat and transfer all ingredients into a rice cooker.
- Select ‘Cook’ mode on the rice cooker and leave it to stew for 1 – 2 hours.
- Add in remaining red onions that are cut in wedges. Turn to ‘Cook’ mode again for additional 5 minutes.
- Turn off rice cooker, plate and garnish. Serve immediately.
The rice cooker will stop cooking automatically when it detects that there are no more liquid to prevent the dish from scorching.