- 3/4 chicken, cut into pieces
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
(PASTE, TO BLEND):
- 2 red onions
- 5 cloves garlic
- 3 inch old ginger
- 10 dried chillies, soaked in hot water
- 1 tsp meat curry powder
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1-2 star anise
- 5-6 cloves
- 6 tbsp Salam Sos Cili Manis Perisa Thai
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 300ml coconut milk
- 1 stalk lemongrass, crushed slightly
- 1pc tamarind slice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 red onions, cut into rings
- ½ cup water, if needed
- cooking oil
- mint leaves
- 1 tomato, cut into wedges
- Wash the chicken pieces, remove excess fats and drain. Marinate with salt and turmeric powder, leave it aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Prepare a pan with sufficient oil to pan fry the chicken. Pat dry if there is excess liquid, before putting it into the hot oil to prevent from oil spilling. Fry until golden yellow around 3/4 cooked and remove from the pan. Set aside.
- Using the same oil after pan frying the chicken, add in the blended paste to stir fry until aromatic. Then insert meat curry powder into the pan and continue incorporating with the paste.
- Toss in cinnamon stick, star anise, cloves and continue to stir. Pour in Salam Sos Cili Manis Perisa Thai and tomato sauce, and bring to a boil.
- Then, pour coconut milk and stir well. Add lemongrass stalk and tamarind slice then continue stirring. (Add in some water if desired or if the paste is too thick.)
- Toss in the fried chicken and coat well with the sauce paste. Let it simmer for 15-20 minutes. Add in some salt and sugar for extra flavours.
- Then add in the onion rings and continue cooking for another 5 minutes. Add in mint leaves right before plating.
- Garnish with tomato wedges. Ready to serve.